Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
- Lean ground beef 1 pound
- Egg 1 beaten
- Fresh bread crumbs 1 cup
- Grated Parmesan cheese 1 tablespoon
- Dried parsley 1 tablespoon
- Ground black pepper ¼ teaspoon
- Garlic powder 1/8 teaspoon
- Olive oil ¼ cup
- Whole peeled tomatoes 2 cans (28 ounces)
- Tomato paste 1 can (6 ounces)
- Chopped onion ¾ cup
- Garlic 5 cloves, minced
- White sugar 1 teaspoon
- Bay leaf 1
- Salt 2 teaspoons
- Dried basil ¾ teaspoon
- Ground black pepper ½ teaspoon
- Put all the ingredients for meatballs in one large bowl and mix well.
- Form the mixture into 12 balls, store, covered, in the refrigerator until needed.
- Saute garlic and onion in olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Stir in tomatoes, bay leaf, sugar, and salt.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 90 minutes.
- Then stir in tomato paste, black pepper, basil, and meatballs.
- Simmer for 30 minutes more and serve with spaghetti.